top of paper

THE TOMMY GUNS

THE TOMMY GUNS

The two Tommy guns seized from Fred “Killer” Burke’s house in Michigan and confirmed to have been used in the Massacre today reside with the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department in southwest Michigan. Members of the Sheriff’s Department often take the guns on the road for public presentations.

The two Thompson submachine guns seized from Fred Burke’s house in Stevensville, Michigan, on December 14, 1929, and confirmed to have been used in the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre today reside with the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department in southwest Michigan.

Tommy Gun Close Up
Tommy Guns Side by Side

The Tommy guns used in the Massacre are in the possession of the Berrien County, Michigan, Sheriff’s Department. They were confiscated from Fred “Killer” Burke’s Michigan home.

After the raid on Burke’s home, the Tommy guns were taken to Chicago, where Dr. Calvin Goddard, a pioneer in ballistics testing, fired test bullets from each gun and compared them with the bullets recovered from the Massacre scene. Using a comparison microscope to closely examine the bullets, he proved that the same guns had been used in the Massacre.

Members of the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department often take the guns out of their armory to make public presentations about the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre and the brutal role the guns played in that historic event.

Looking Down the Barrel of a Tommy Gun

The Wall

A large section of the wall against which the Massacre victims stood is on display at The Mob Museum.

The Wall - The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Feb. 14th, 1929.
top of paper